I love Autumn, the nights are drawing in, it's time to start wrapping up warm, time for comfort food... and time for all my favourite shops to launch their new ranges! I don't know why, but the Autumn/Winter ranges always seem more exciting, to me at least. Anyway, my letterbox was recently the recipient of the gorgeous new John Lewis catalogue and I got my hands on the M&S version from one of their branches. This is my pick of the best on offer for renters:
These picks all come from John Lewis' brilliant new 'House' range, featuring hundreds of contemporary, affordable pieces but with the John Lewis quality you'd expect.
1. Lily rectangular 6 seater dining table £199 A great investment, this solid table with it's Ercol-esque lines it's bound to stand the test of time. Equally suited to some mid-century chairs or a mix of second hand finds.
2. Inaluxe - Flora unframed print, 30 x 40cm £5 A complete bargain, the whole 'House' print range is great... but the retro lines of this image are perfect for adding some colour to your walls.
3. Aldgate bookcase £199 Slimline with a slightly industrail feel, this bookcase would be great for holding large art books and treasured objects.
4. Smart large sofa bed in Slate £299 (also available in steel) Great for putting up guests when you don't have a guestroom, this sofa bed is much better looking than most & won't break the bank. Acessorize with some bright cushions that will really stand out against the grey fabric.
5. Tony floor lamp £70 (also available in teal and white) Perfect for small spaces or as a floorstanding bedside lamp!
6. Oliver bedding £19-£70 There are other bedding options in the House range, but I think this dark grey colour is perfect for winter slumbering...
7. Lidded saucepans £25-£35 Modern lines, a handy pouring lip and available in three sizes as well as a frying pan.
8. Ribble cushion in black/grey £25 (also available in linen) This perfectly styled understated cushion would look equally good on a bed, sofa or favourite chair.
9. Ashwood doorstop £7 A beautiful shape and pop of colour, sometimes it's the little details that make all the difference.
As ever, M&S have a great selection of own brand and Conran pieces this season. While John Lewis' range has a touch of Scandi-chic about it, my favourite pieces from M&S have a slightly more industrial feel:
1. Conran bookend clamp in pale green £12 also available in red. Add a bit of utility chic to your bookcases!
2. Ikat Chenille cushion £19 It might be an Ikat pattern but it also has a bit of a 1940's feel to it. Mix with plain cushions in black, white or a brighter colour.
3. Braga expandable shelf unit £699 Definitely on the more expensive side, this shelving unit is perfect for renters though as it can almost double in size or be adjusted perfectly to fit almost any space. Worth the investment if you have the cash to splash.
4. Conran chalkboard wall clock £45 This kitchen clock doubles up as a handy chalkbord for reminders or shopping lists.
5. Statement task lamp £75 Statement is the right word for this lamp, it would work well in masculine, industrial room, or equally well as a foil to pretty florals. It's such a simple shape that it could be used as a bedside lamp, task light or living room lamp and as it's solidly built, should last for many years.
6. Conran floating frame £19.50 The chain on this frame gives it a utilitarian look, and is perfect for using with a smart Command hook for damage free hanging!
7. Sapporo tall desk £199 This desk is a great space saver. At just 80 cm wide it's footprint is small and the added bonus of built in shelving gives an instant workspace with no wall fixings.
8. Orietal burst rug £70-£229 This gorgeous rug is an absolute classic and a great way to add pattern to a room.
9. Ladbrook lamp table £199 It might be a little excessive to pay almost £200 for a lamp/side table, but this one really is stunning. It would work just as well as a bedside stand or sofa side table.