I was at an antiques fair in October last year when I spotted this copper sporting trophy/tray with an inscription from a golf club from 1946. I thought about it and walked away and then I walked back and I couldn't stop thinking about it and in the end my mum decided I had to have it, and bought it for me. It now sits on the Ercol coffee table under a mini succulent (from a garden centre) a black ceramic sake jug (bought from The V&A Shop years ago) and an antique sheep skull from Snoopers Paradise in Brighton. I was amazed at the difference this fairly small but incredibly warm reflective surface made to the living room and it makes the coffee table look even more amazing. It's just a few pieces but this little vignette makes me very happy when I'm curled up on the sofa in front of it.
Last years trend for metallic accents, copper in particular, is showing no signs of going away, but have you noticed how copper looks even better when paired with black? Black seems to be the perfect foil for the shine and richness of copper. Here's are a few of my favourite copper accessories:
1. 'Albus' twisted table lamp, £40 from John Lewis strikes the perfect balance between homely and industrial and would look equally at home in the bedroom or living room.
2. Set of 2 copper effect lanterns, £44 from Next which you could pair with some inexpensive black pillar candles and even take outside on warm summer evenings.
3. Copper & black clock, £58 from Graham & Green for adding a bit of luxe and drama to your kitchen.
4. Large black top copper vase, £26 from Habitat great on its own or with some simple blooms or branches.
5. Sandalwood & lilac diffuser, £14 from Next just the right mix of feminine and masculine notes and perfect for winter.
6. 'Anstruther' screen-printed and foiled print by Tom Pigeon, £60 from The V&A Shop adds another colour to the mix. I can't get enough of the perfect geometry.
7. 'Ambience' unscented candle, £3.99 from H&M Home perfect if you like the glow of candles but aren't keen on the scented variety.
8. Solid copper tray by Jansen+Co, £44 at Howkapow is a close match for the vintage one I bought. Simple and elegant and goes with everything.
9. Nymö lampshade, £35 from Ikea
10. Triangle copper & black lustre mug, £22 by We Love Kaoru at Luna & Curious three other graphic shapes are also available in the series.
An extra note on that Nymö lampshade from Ikea. It can be used as a pendant or floor standing shade and look what happens when you turn the lights on! I love this effect, perfect if you have plain walls but also like a bit of pattern as it mimics a classic geometric wallpaper.
I'm not normally a fan of this type of mass-produced 'wall art' but this abstract piece, £70 from Next hits just the right note and at a metre square it's large enough to add some serious impact to a room, while still being easy to hang. If you don't want to risk hanging it on your rented walls though, it's easily large enough to prop up against a wall.
Lastly, if you have any solid copper or copper plated items you're going to need this Town Talk Unrivalled Anti-Tarnish Brass & Copper Polish, £5.25 from John Lewis to clean them with. It's easy to use and as it also prevents tarnishing, it's not time consuming to keep your copper looking beautifully shiny.
|Image: John Lewis|
Follow my blog with Bloglovin